Today sees the launch of Passports with Purpose, the fund-raiser by Travel Bloggers to support those in the developing world who need our help. Last year we raised $7,000 for Heifer International and this year the target is to raise $13,000 to build a school in Cambodia.
Build a school in Cambodia
All donations to this year’s Passports with Purpose Fundraiser will go to the charity American Assistance for Cambodia to build a school in rural Cambodia where the population experienced so much trauma during the Khmer Rouge regime. The project establishes schools in poor, rural areas where children have been deprived of any educational facilities or been forced to learn outdoors for lack of funds to construct schoolhouses.
The AAfC uses matching funds World Bank and Asian Development Bank together with the $13,000 that Passports with Purpose hopes to raise, to cover the construction and start-up costs of the rural school. You can find out more about the AAfC’s Rural Schools Project here.
Flip Video Camera Prize
There are many Travel Bloggers offering travel related prizes as part of the Passports with Purpose draw. On the Passports With Purpose website you can find a list of all the prizes and the blogs where the details of the prize are posted.
I’m thrilled that Flip in the UK have donated one of their Flip Ultra Video Camcorders as a Passports with Purpose prize, as it’s a neat and fun little camcorder to take you when traveling or to record special moments with your friends and family. If you’ve been wanting to start shooting video but were afraid of all those camera settings and wizardry, then this is the video camera for you.
You shoot what you like and then upload directly through the USB port of your computer, with the option to email to your friends or upload to sites like Myspace and Youtube. Because it’s so small and self-contained, you don’t ever have to worry about missing that magic moment because you didn’t have the right gear – just pop it in your bag and go.
How the Passports with Purpose Draw works
From today, November 30th 2009, the Passports with Purpose website will show a list of all the prizes on offer, and each one will link back to a full description of the prizes on the blogger’s website. For each $10 in donations that you make to AAfC, you will will be entered to win a prize (or prizes) of your choice.
The fundraiser begins on November 30th and closes on December 21. All proceeds go directly to AAfC. You can donate $10 for the prize of your choice, or multiples of $10 for a favourite prize if you want to increase your chances, or $10 or more for several different prizes that take your fancy. It’s a great thing to make a donation as a gift on behalf of someone and if they win the prize that’s a bonus.
By now I’m sure you’re convinced that this is a charity worth supporting, particularly if like me you’re aware how lucky you and your family are in their opportunities for education that we all take for granted in the West.
So please go now to the Passports with Purpose website and make your donation for the Flip Video Camera or another prize of your choice. If you’re worried about what to buy for that person who has everything, go and buy them a $10 ticket and a chance to win a prize as a bonus. And if you feel you’d like to treat a child you’ve never met to a great Christmas present of a school and an education, then go to the Passports with Passport website and make your donation, or ask your loved ones to do so as your Christmas present.
I’ll be making updates about Passports with Purpose throughout December until the fundraiser closes on 21 December, so keep and eye on this blog, on the Passports with Purpose Website and follow the tweets at #pwp.
A Big Thankyou
- Thankyou so much in advance for your support
- Thanks to Flip in the UK who donated the Flip Video Camcorder as a prize
- Thanks to the key sponsors of Passport with Purpose who have got the fundraiser off to a cracking start
- Virtuoso is the industry’s leading leisure travel network. This by-invitation-only organization comprises more than 6,000 elite travel advisers associated with over 300 agencies in 22 countries, as well as over 1,000 of the world’s best travel providers and premier destinations.
- Got Passport: Will Travel, We’ll Serve
Living Small, Giving Large. We are a family of three, with a passion for travel, seeking out new experiences, meeting new people, and living simply.
- HomeAway, Inc. operates the world’s leading and most-established vacation rental websites around the world, including HomeAway.com, VRBO.com and VacationRentals.com.
- Raveable.com is the fastest way to find the perfect hotel and is the first and only website that creates hotel review summaries based on the common rants and raves found in millions of online hotel reviews.
- Travelfish.org produces original travel content for the independent traveller heading to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Recommended by Rough Guides, Footprint, Lonely Planet and others
- TravellersPoint is a vibrant travel community dedicated to seriously passionate travellers. Upload photos, create a blog or travel map, share travel tips in the forums, and contribute to the wiki travel guide
- Last but not least, thanks to Debbie Dubrow, Pam Mandel, Michelle Duffy and Beth Whitman, the bloggers behind Delicious Baby, Nerd’s Eye View, WanderMom, and Wanderlust and Lipstick who are working hard behind the scenes to organise Passports with Purpose.