We’re in Lisbon, staying at the bright blue townhouse of the Hotel Heritage Av Liberdade with a view of the rooftops from our room on the 5th floor. This building used to be made up of a car showroom on the ground floor and apartments above and as I stand at the open window of the corner room, I do feel as if I’m in some rather elegant garret.
The sun rose behind the Castelo de sao Jorge turning the grey sky pink and gold and promising a fine day although it is forecast heavy rain – I guess we’ll take our chances.
The church bells behind the hotel chime from time to time and there’s the occasional chug of the Elevador do Lavra, a small tram car as it climbs the steep hill, saving the walker’s weary legs.
We’ll see what today will bring as we explore Lisbon. You’ll be hearing much more about our trip when I get back, but just wanted to send you a short postcard to let you know how we’re getting on. You can follow my Tweets and send me your Lisbon recommendations too on Twitter @heathercowper.
Wish you were here!
- Visit Lisboa – Official Tourism Website
- Go Lisbon Blog – I found lots of useful articles on things to do in Lisbon
- On this trip we stayed at the gorgeous luxury boutique Hotel Heritage Av. Liberdade, which was ideally located for sightseeing
- On this trip I used the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Top 10 travel guide to Lisbon which is a pocket sized guide that’s ideal for sightseeing if you’re there for a short time – read my review here
- Podcast – Hostelworld Podcast – Only in Lisbon
- Podcast – Guardian Unlimited Podcast – Lisbon