Discover the art and culture of Kyrgystan with our Giveaway of a $150/£90 gift voucher (first prize) and $50/£30 gift voucher (second prize) from Globein.com, who help artizans from around the world sell their work online.
Kyrgyzstan is a small, mountainous country sandwiched between China and the former Soviet Empire. Despite modernization, urbanization and a Stalin-induced history of agricultural collectivization, Kyrgyzstan is, in its heart, nomadic. Three forces; Yurts, sheep and mountains, represent the literal fabric of the country.
Kyrgyzstan is 97% mountains, most of those well-over 7,000 meters. On May 15, families pack-up their homes and head for their alpine summer grazing camps called Jailoos. Wealth is often defined in animal stock versus money in the bank. At over 1,000 US dollars a piece, these yaks are quite the nest egg. Of course, there’s no greater go-to animal for summer grazing than our friend the sheep.
Kyrgyz Folk Art – colorful, functional, whimsical
Felt is a non woven fiber created through compression and agitation – two forces that go along way to describing the country of Kyrgyzstan. Felt is the medium of choice for nearly all functional and decorative Kyrgyz folk art, whose patterns reflect the mountains and natural surroundings that the Kyrgyz people hold so close to their hearts.
Traditionally made for the Yurts of the Tian Shan Mountains and made from cut layers of compressed, dyed felt, the Shyrdak Felt Rugs are Kyrgyzstan’s national art. Hand pressed, dyed, cut and sewn by the women of the Altyn Kol Women’s Cooperative from local wool in the small town of Kochkor, your one-of-a kind Shyrdak makes a great living room accent or fun mini yoga mat.
A master artisan can fashion about three pairs of Kozy felt Slippers in a day. The process requires tireless handwork, creating the felt from tufts of wet wool, and tirelessly pressing it and shaping it over the course of several hours into a comfy pair of slippers.
Donkeys (along with Yurts, sheep, horses and mountains) are synonymous with the Kyrgyz countryside. Unfortunately, the forces of modernization and urbanization have taken market share away from this humble and functional animal. Across the country, donkeys are suffering from underemployment and low self esteem.
Win crafts from Kyrgyzstan or from around the world
GlobeIn is a social start-up whose mission is to connect a billion working artisans with the Global marketplace. They help artisans from remote regions sell their work online, and have an established network of trusted artisans in Kyrgyzstan. Artisans receive 100% of their asking price for each item sold. Further, GlobeIn reinvests an additional 10% back into the country of origin for local managers and artisan support. Whether you’re a customer or a lucky winner, you’re helping to support some amazing local artisans and keeping ancient traditions alive while enjoying some very cool crafts. You may like to try the GlobeIn Gift Box with a different selection of artizan gifts shipped to you each month. Thanks for helping to build the global economy.
GlobeIn have kindly given us a $150/£90 (first prize) and $50/£30 (second prize) gift voucher to give away to our readers. The vouchers can be spent on artizan craft goods from Kyrgystan or other countries on the GlobeIn.com website and can be shipped to you wherever you are in the world (shipping charges may apply outside the US).
How to Enter and Win
Please enter this Giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget on this page or which you can find here – To enter you need to;
1. Visit the GlobeIn.com website and leave a comment below telling us which item you would love to order with your GlobeIn gift voucher.
For additional chances to win you can;
I’d love to support artizan crafts and #win a @GlobeIn_World $150 gift voucher in the #giveaway @Heathercowper #travel
3. Like the Heatheronhertravels Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/Heatheronhertravels
4. Like the GlobeIn Facebook Page at https://facebook.com/GlobeIN
5. Register at the GlobeIn.com website here
Other Giveaway information;
- The competition will run for 2 weeks from Sat 21 December 2013 until midnight Monday 6 January 2014
- The 2 winners will be selected at random once the Giveaway has ended
- Once selected the 2 winners of gift voucher $150 and $50 will be notified by e-mail and must confirm they accept within 5 days or the gift voucher will be offered to another entrant.
- The Giveaway is open to entrants in any location worldwide although there may be shipping charges to pay on your order.
- By entering this Giveaway you agree that you may be subscribed to the GlobeIn.com or Heatheronhertravels.com mailing lists and be sent news or offers that may interest you but you may unsubscribe at any time and we will never share your details with a third party.
This giveaway is now closed, congratulations to our winners Alice and Anna. Many thanks to everyone who participated.
You’ll also find our sister blog with tips on how to build a successful travel blog at My Blogging Journey
This competition has been posted on the following competition websites: Online-Sweepstakes.com, ThePrizefinder.com, CompetitionsTime, CompetitionsToday.co.uk, UKwins, Loquax, www.abcwin.co.uk,www.offeroasis.co.uk,